Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Something Yummy: Brownies from Scratch

In an effort to prove to Angie that browines from scratch could be delish, I made these for her and some friends. Verdict? She asked me to post it here to share with her and our friends. So here it is!

Sour Cream Brownies:

Mix in small bowl:
2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1/2 t. salt

Bring to boil:
1 cup butter
1 cup water
4 T cocoa

Mix boiled ingredients immediately with dry ingredients; beat until smooth

Add:
2 eggs
1/2 cup sour cream
1 t soda

Pour onto greased and floured pan. Bake at 375 for 23-25 minutes


Frosting: (*This is what makes the brownies, for me, so do not skip out on this!! You won't be sad)

1 cube butter
4 T cocoa
4 T milk

Bring those three to boil, then add:
1 box powdered sugar
1 t vanilla

Funny story behind the recipe (don't hate me)...I got this recipe from an old roommate that did not particularly want to give it up. You see this is her grandmother's special recipe and he grandma asked her not to share it with anyone, or if she did, to at least not copy it down for themselves. Well i made it once and did as I was asked, I didn't copy it down even though it was like a little piece of heaven. We later found out another roommate had denied her request and copied it down. She wasn't very happy. Luckily I was able to get this recipe from her as she could never deny my request to make something special for my husband on valentines day, right?! Well I did make it for vday, and it was special and he was oh so happy...but it came with this charge, "Guard it with your life so my grandma doesn't find out!" Sorry Steph, and Steph's grandma...a treasure like this was meant to be shared....

1 comments:

Angie said...

seriously, the yummiest brownies i've ever tasted. especially when served warm with a ice cream a la mode.